Helix Pre-orders and Manufacturing Update
It has been several months since our Kickstarter campaign ended and we have a lot of exciting news to share.
With the tremendous success of Helix we are very happy to announce that we have forged a new partnership with Warren Industries, Innovation & Technology Centre in Toronto. WITC is a world class engineering and automotive component manufacturing company. They have extensive experience with all aspects of product development including design, engineering, prototyping and manufacturing. Among the many successful projects they have worked on are complete high performance automobiles, complex mechatronics and medical mobility devices.
Over these past months we have completed our design adjustments. Altogether there have been over 60 changes. The highlights include:
• Improved frame geometry by reducing the seat tube angle and decreasing the effective top tube length slightly. This allows for a longer seatpost and more ideal riding position.
• Increased the lateral stiffness at the bottom bracket by adding a tube style gusset.
• Reduced the complexity of the fork clamps by eliminating one set of pinch bolts; they are now welded to the fork tube which lowers weight and increases strength.
• Added removable dropouts. This will allows us to manufacture only one swingarm that works with all three drivetrain options and allows you to change drivetrains more easily.
• Added a frame welded seatpost binder/clamp with a longer arm which is better suited for the more frequent seat raising and lowering on a folding bike.
Our spec has also been finalized. After ordering dozens of samples and spending countless hours evaluating everything from function, performance, reliability, weight and aesthetics we have come up with a very high quality spec. Details can be viewed at http://www.ridehelix.ca/#specifications
Helix will also be equipped with mounting points for various accessories including mudguards, a front and rear rack, bags, trailer and a water bottle. We are working on a complete line of accessories that will complement our design and not interfere with folding or rolling when folded. Availability will be late 2016.
As you may know, we were scheduled to begin pre-orders on February 1st. We have decided to push it back slightly to allow us a little more time to complete our final pre-production models. As such, Helix will be available for pre-order through our website starting early March. This change will not affect our anticipated delivery date of late summer 2016.
Pre-ordering will reserve your spot in our first production run. You will be among the first to join a community of cyclist that believe in our vision of a better folding bike.
Stay tuned for more updates in the weeks to come.
Peter and The Helix Team